Wednesday, June 3, 2015
Jammed CDs & Delighting in Me
Hope's Original Lesson Plan: Creative Day (draw at zoo, library, read books).
Revised Lesson Plan: Creative Day (chores, draw at home, library, books)
My Lesson Learned: He takes great delight in me despite my shortcomings
This morning, as I am packing up the car with colored pencils, notebooks and snacks, Hunter has to potty (of course!). We are headed to the zoo to draw the butterflies in the butterfly garden (believe me, it sounds good, but we really only draw about 10 minutes and then the kids are running around and getting in to everything). As I go back into the house Hadley got out of her seat (which I am sure she was extremely proud of!) and playing with the CD player. I came back out to find the car stereo inoperable and 3 library CDs jammed in to the CD player (at least that's where I hope they are!). Patience is by far one of the fruits of the spirit that God has been trying to manifest in me since my children were born (okay, maybe since I've been born!), but my humanity was not having it today!
I was frustrated and quicly angered. Yes, the verse, "A gentle word turns away wrath" popped in to my head and almost as quickly flew out! My impatience took hold of my mind and I angrily told my children that we were not going to the zoo today. Instead, we were staying home and doing chores for the morning. I regretted speaking so angrily, and did apologize for my words, however, I have found myself with a quick tempered spirit most of the morning.
At one point, the Lord urged me to send an encouraging verse to a friend--it was actually the verse I needed to hear (funny how He does that!). "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing," Zeph 3:17. I love words, and I am very much a "semantics person," which is why I love researching what each word means. As I studied this verse again today, and I was struck by several things:
"The Lord," in the original language Yehovah, otherwise known as Jehovah, the Existing One. The God who was and is and is yet to come, is speaking to His people. He is letting the Isrealites know that He is with them. The word qereb is what is translated as "with you" and can also mean "in your midst" and part of its definition is "as the seat of thought and emotion." God is right there with me in my emotions and thoughts. Every thought can belong to Him (2 Corinthians 10:5) if I am obedient to Him (and listen to the verses that the Holy Spirit puts in to my mind instead of quickly pushing them away!).
Not only is Jehovah in His people's midst, but He is might to save. Some translations state, "a mighty warrior." In its original language it is a strong liberator! Lord, please liberate me from the stronghold of my anger and harsh words today. He liberates every stronghold!
And despite His people's strongholds, He takes "great delight in you," which means to display joy. But, what is joy? According to Dictionary.com, joy is defined as, "the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good [ha, not me!] or satisfying [bingo!]." He delights in me because He is satisfied with me because of His son's sacrifice!
This great joy that He finds in His people because of His satisfaction with them causes Him to "rejoice" over them "with singing." Wow! What an awesome God. Lesson Learned: Despite my plans, the failure to see them to fruition, and my shortcomings, God takes great delight in me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment